One of the most important pillars of winter wellness is staying mindful of your refined sugar and processed food intake. But around the holidays, avoiding all those yummy classic treats can feel like a major buzzkill. (Seriously, what would the holiday festivities be without sugar cookies and egg nog? Pretty blah.)
We don't think you should have to give up on your wonderful holiday traditions in the name of greater wellness—you deserve to indulge without sacrificing your dietary values. That's why we headed into the BKN kitchen and came up with a collection of hive-inspired recipes to help you stay healthy while *fully indulging* in the festivities.
All of these wholesome recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, naturally sweetened—and taste absolutely incredible! You can check them all out in our free recipe book download, but in the meantime, here are a couple of our favorites...
Beegan Sugar Cookies with Cashew Frosting
gluten free, paleo, dairy free
No refined sugar. No gluten. No eggs or dairy. What’s actually inside? Sweet holiday goodness. If you make only one sugar cookie this year, make it this. And definitely don’t skip out on the raw honey and cashew butter frosting. (Yes, you totally should lick the bowl.)
… for the cookies…
1 cup gluten free baking flour
½ cup coconut flour
2 Tbsp coconut butter, gently melted
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
...for the frosting…
1/3 cup raw cashew butter
1-2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine all cookie ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until a dough begins to form. Season with salt to taste, add an extra tablespoon of honey if needed, and refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill.
- Remove dough from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface until dough is about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with your favorite cookie cutter and place on the baking tray, with cookies spaced at least 2 inches apart. Combine the scraps, roll out again, and cut into additional shapes until all the dough is used up.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until lightly golden (less time for a slightly chewier cookie). Place on a baking rack to cool.
- While the cookies cool, combine frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Add more milk or honey as needed, or a pinch of sea salt if desired.
- Frost the cookies, sprinkle with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
For our holidays in the hive, we love decorating our cookies 3 different ways:
- Deck the Hive—frost cookies and sprinkle with our golden Bee Pollen
- Beehive Gold—blend frosting with a small spoonful of turmeric powder for a splash of vivid yellow
- Snow Dreams—frost the cookies extra thick and top with unsweetened shredded coconut
Honey Pumpkin Spiced Eggnog
gluten free, paleo, dairy free
Eggnog is usually loaded with refined sugars and packed to the brim with calories, but we knew there had to be a better way. Light, frothy, and naturally sweetened, this pumpkin spiced eggnog is a holiday indulgence you won’t regret in the morning.
2 cups dairy free milk
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp pumpkin spice
a pinch of cinnamon
* Optional Toppings: whipped coconut cream, shredded coconut, bee pollen, cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend on medium speed until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan. Cook over medium low heat until it starts to thicken. Stir occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
- Gently pour into large mugs, add your favorite toppings, sip, and enjoy!
Drooling already? Download the rest of the recipes in our 2018 winter recipe collection right here to get your celebrations off to the right start!